Thursday, March 4, 2010

"It's been a while since I've seen you...

... so, how have you been?"

Changes are a'brewin' here. It's been an eventful fall, to say the least. Many times, I thought to write. Many times, I... didn't. I have spent the past few months learning Hebrew full-time to prepare for an important exam as part of my application for admission to cantorial school. I had been thinking about applying for awhile and made the decision at the end of October to apply for next year. Originally I thought I'd study for a few years first (so much Hebrew to learn!), but so many things fell into place over the summer and in the beginning of the fall --- personally, professionally, spiritually. The right time feels like now, not a few years from now. I took my Hebrew exam yesterday, and I feel quite confident about how I did, especially considering that I couldn't even read Hebrew when I returned from Israel this fall. Tomorrow is my audition and interview... and then I wait for a decision. It's all a bit surreal, really. If I am accepted, I'll be back in Israel in June or July, and will be there for a year. I should know, hopefully, by Pesach.

לשנה הבאה בירושלים?

It would be... amazing... beyond words...

More to come. But for now, I need to get things together for tomorrow. I leave you with a quote:

"Man's task in the world, according to Judaism, is to transform fate into destiny; a passive existence into an active existence; an existence of compulsion, perplexity and muteness into an existence replete with a powerful will, with resourcefulness, daring, and imagination."

The Rav, Kol Dodi Dofek


לילה טוב לכולם...

1 comment:

  1. Amazing job, you should be so proud of yourself! I am inspired by you!
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete